5 Best Postpartum Belly Binder to Support Your Recovery
Many celebrities tout the use of a postpartum belly binder to help them recover after having a baby, but postpartum belly binders aren't just A-list fads. In fact, the custom of postpartum corsets goes back centuries: Malaysian culture refers to these corsets as bengkung, Latinos use a wrap known as a faja, and Japanese mothers turn to sarashi after birth. But what exactly is a postpartum girdle, what are its benefits, and should you try it? Read on to learn more.
The Benefits of Postpartum Wraps
The technical term for these trendy postpartum belly binders is a tummy tuck, and they do just that: They provide pressure and support for the abdomen and lower back, while also improving circulation and breathing. Doctors have used abdominal adhesive for years after abdominal surgery, including C-sections, but over the past decade, abdominal wraps designed for postpartum women have flooded the market. They come in a variety of styles (postpartum belts, belts, slip-on, etc.) and different closures (velcro, zipper, hook-and-eye, etc.), but the main benefits of postpartum belly binders remain the same in all respects:
They support the abdominal muscles and help with rectus abdominal separation, a condition in which the abdomen remains separate after pregnancy.
They can help with lower back pain and posture
They can reduce other pain and pressure (especially around the C-section incision)
They are said to help reduce swelling
What's one thing a postpartum girdle can't do? Magically shrink your waist to pre-pregnancy size. This mostly comes from diet, exercise, and time—although a tummy tuck may help provide a sleeker look under clothing, similar to shapewear.
Postpartum Girdle Shopping Tips
Finding the best postpartum cuff for you depends on your unique needs. Even the most popular product on the market is not a hit product or lifestyle for everyone. Here are a few things to consider before buying a postpartum belly binder:
Comfortable. When it comes to tummy tucks, compression is key. That said, you should be looking for support, not a suffocating "waist trainer" or a corset that's too tight. (The goal is pain relief!) Look for adjustable or elastic styles that fit your specific body, and consult with your doctor to find the best recovery for you and your unique style.
Easy to use. If your postpartum belly binder is painful to wear, you won't use it. The same is true if you have difficulty wearing it while doing everyday tasks. Choose a postpartum belly binder that won't disrupt your life with difficult-to-close or annoying, difficult-to-adjust straps. Only you know what frustrating you'll find, but the options below have the most user-friendly designs we've seen.
Cautious. Some tummy tucks are more seamless than others (think: sleeve straps vs. multi-fastener waistbands). Keep this in mind if you like to wear well-fitting clothes. You can also search for skin tone styles for more concealed looks. Many of the products below are available in multiple colors.
Best Postpartum Girdle
Barring any complications in labor -- and only with your doctor's permission -- a postpartum belly binder should be worn immediately after delivery. Most manufacturers of tummy tucks recommend wearing one for about 10 to 12 hours a day, and up to 6 to 8 weeks postpartum, to reap the full benefits. With this type of continuous wear, the postpartum cuff you choose must be one you love. These mom-approved options are a great place to start.
UpSpring Baby Shrinkx Postpartum Girdle
This charcoal-infused abdominal wrap is fully adjustable and provides only the pressure you need - no more, no less - to minimize pain and swelling, and support weak abdominal muscles without any discomfort. Although it only comes in two sizes (Small/Medium and Large/King), the multiple Velcro straps for waists from 25 to 52 inches allow you to get the perfect fit. Postpartum moms also love the slip-on style because it's easy to hide under clothing, ideal if you want a discreet support garment when you're out and about.
Some moms noticed it was very stiff.
"I love that it makes my stomach feel more secure, especially right after birth and that you can use the straps to customize where you want to focus the compression, which is nice."
Available in small/medium and large/king; fits waists 25-52 inches
Choose black or nude
Care: Hand wash
4-in-1 Custom Postpartum Abdominal Support Band for Rectus Abdominal Muscle Separation Supports your back with 4 soft steel bars to help put organs back in place
1. 4 Straps in 1: The 4-in-1 Postpartum Support Belly Strap contains a set of belly straps and waist belts, it provides firm control and a flat belly postpartum. Prevents some skin from coming off the bottom belly band. It helps put your organs back in place, forces you back into position, keeps you upright, restores the shape, and relieves discomfort.
2. Breathable and Comfortable Material: Made of high-quality lightweight fabric, very comfortable, stretchy, and easy to clean. Fits every inch of your body, and the pliable material flexes, twists, and moves with your body, providing support without adding stress. Their postpartum belts are all breathable tested and remain breathable in all seasons without causing discomfort to the skin.
3. Improve Your Back Support and Posture: Their postpartum recovery belt uses 4 mild steel ribs to enhance your back support and reduce stress on your lower back muscles. This abdominal belt can greatly reduce the stress on your back and lower back, thus facilitating the recovery of the spine and lower back muscles with ease. Its backward-curved design fits your body shape perfectly.
Over time, this package will gradually rise.
"I used Sheinshaper's postpartum belly binder. I put it on as soon as my placenta came out, 24/7, except in the shower, for at least a month. It helped me a lot!"
Available in M-XL or custom sizes;
Pink and white or custom colors
Care: Hand wash
Ingrid & Isabel Bellaband
Made from nylon and spandex, this ultra-stretch belly wrap is versatile. Wear it in a variety of ways during or after pregnancy—tighten, fold, or contract—to target your primary areas of need. It doesn't offer as much support as some of the more complicated abdominal braces, but the soft material and slight compression make it just right for pulling painful C-section incisions. It's also super convenient: it clumps together so it doesn't take up too much space in your drawer, and you can just toss it in the washing machine when you need to wash it.
This band doesn't always stay put, especially when there's a lot of movement.
"Worth every penny. I just bought a new one for this pregnancy. I used it last pregnancy!"
Available in sizes 1-4; fits pre-pregnancy pants 0-24
Choose from black, nude, white
Care: Machine wash
The postpartum support belt adopts segmented force, will not pull your wound, and help you reduce the pain of the wound after a cesarean section.
1. Tight-fitting and Breathable Material: Postpartum belly binder is made of lightweight pure cotton, with no odor, and no itching! Only 1.5mm thick! Fits your body perfectly, like a second skin. Almost unnoticed under clothing.
2. Protect Your Wounds: With a unique band-aid design and waist adjustment double-opening Velcro, the postpartum support belt adopts segmented stress, which will not pull your wounds and help you relieve wound pain after cesarean section
3. Helps to Shrink the Postpartum Belly: The postpartum tummy tuck helps to shrink the belly and waist, preventing the sagging of organs/skin, inelasticity in the back to relieve back pain, and flexibility in the waist allows you to stretch freely. Helps ease the uterine transition.
The dress is not as supportive as some of the other more comprehensive options.
"It brought an amazing recovery. I just got my stuff out of the warehouse for this baby. I had it in my hospital bag for the first time, and hours later when I got it all cleared, I just put it on. I don't have saggy skin or dogs like my friends. May be genetic, but I definitely trust Belly Binder."
SL or custom size
Pink and white or custom colors
Care: Hand wash
Chongerfei Three-in-one Postpartum Support Belt
If targeted compression is what you're after, you'll find it on this Amazon bestseller. This belted garment is made of tough material that sucks you in to keep everything in its place, plus multiple Velcro closures so you can customize the fit to your liking and needs. Still, users say the construction is relatively breathable, making it comfortable to wear year-round.
There are only two sizes, which may be limited.
"Great support for the abs from all sides, especially the back support which exceeded my expectations. Doesn't roll up at all. Great grip. Very comfortable. Value for money."
Available in one and plus sizes; fits waists 26-44 inches
Care: Hand wash